Do you have an email list? You’re certainly on one because you’re reading this newsletter! Well, 60% of you are. The other 40% just don’t know what they’re missing out on. Poor suckers. Actually if you’re reading this on my blog, I’ve copied and pasted from my newsletter so you really should subscribe for more of these pearls of wisdom, see the sign-up in the footer.
Anyway, as I’ve mentioned previously, I’m an unabashed fan of Darren Rowse from ProBlogger. He has this neat little podcast series and the last couple I’ve listened to have been rather enlightening. I’m really starting to dig podcasts on my walks. The one I listened to on Monday morning was about building your email list. Darren reckons an email list is vital for a number of reasons:
- It’s a dedicated list that lasts forever – or at least until someone unsubscribes. I’ve only ever had one person unsubscribe. Silly of them really.
- It’s a great way to sell or launch a product and even if you don’t intend to do so, you just never know.
- You can use it to send out your blog posts (this is different to the ‘subscribe to blog’ thingo) – you can use MailChimp to send out your blog posts but you can also link your blog posts in your monthly or weekly newsletters. That’s what Darren does – as do I.
- It’s a familiar and most used technology – most people have their emails open all the time or check them once a day, so you can always reach them. Unlike Facebook, whose algorithms not even Einstein would be able to work out.
- It drives traffic to your blog or product – which deepens reader engagement.
- Good for building your brand.
So then how do you do it? How do you increase your subscribers? Well, one of the suggestions was the dreaded pop-up. They are up there with leaf blowers in the annoyance stakes I reckon. But, I thought I’d give one a go on my website. It’s called Welcome Mat powered by Sumo Me. Darren has an affiliate link which allows a 30 day free trial. He increased his subscriber rate by 100% on the 6 squillion he already gets per week. So that should up mine by about 1.5 subscribers a week!
Do you have an email list? Would you rather stick pins in your eyes than have a pop up on your site or subscribe when a pop up, errr, pops up on your computer/device?